Scolls & Former Australia U19 & NSW Rookie, Ryan Hackney
“I guess for me, it’s been about finding something that works and then doing that over and over and not getting bored of that.”
This episode is with NSW Young Gun Ryan Hackney. Most of you would never have heard of this episode’s guest but I have no doubt you will see and hear about him in the future. A 19 year-old Ryan Hackney currently has a rookie contract for NSW and was in Perth last week for a 2nd XI match against WA at the WACA.
Earlier this year Ryan opened the batting for the Australian under 19 team in their series against Pakistan. This was after he was left out of the Australia Under 19 world cup squad that went to New Zealand inn January this year.
In this episode we discussed:
- How he found batting at the WACA for the first time and how he had to adjust his method from playing in Sydney
- How he spent an hour shadow batting after hitting 2 balls with his new batting coach
- What it’s like to train with guys like Steve Smith, David Warner, Moises Henriques and the rest of the NSW squad
- How he realised he didn’t need to be something that he’s not before scoring a hundred for the Aussie under 19s earlier this year
- How he never really thought about becoming a professional cricketer until it happened
- How he has improved his mental game by learning to switch off
Plus a whole lot more.