Scolls & WA Young Gun, Josh Philippe
“I think the biggest thing for me is to play like I don’t care. Obviously I really care but I like to play with that approach because it takes away all the nervousness and you do all the work during the week so you should be able to go out there and relax and enjoy it.”
Welcome to this episode of The Process of Success with WA batsman, Josh Phillipe.
Josh broke onto the scene in stunning fashion a little over a year ago when he scored 88 in the first session of a tour match against the England Test team that featured the likes of Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad. Since then he has made his First-class & List A debuts for Western Australia, Scored a Sheffield Shield Century and made his Big Bash debut for the Perth Scorchers and last week it was announced that he is joining the Sydney Sixers for this year’s Big Bash.
Josh also scored a better than a run a ball 57 for the Prime Ministers XI against a South Africa side that featured Dale Steyn & Kagiso Rabada in a man of the match performance in October this year.
At just 21 years of age, Josh is one of the brightest prospects in Australian cricket and has recently come on board as a Cricket Mentoring ambassador which we’re really excited to be partnered with Josh to help him on his journey.
In this episode we discussed:
- How he got into cricket after both his mum and dad represented WA
- How he was selected as a wicket-keeping more than a batter in his junior and when his batting took over from his keeping
- How having a season in England helped him not only become the batter he is today but also find his love for the game again
- How he batted number 9 in a WA trial match and was spewing when Mitch Marsh and Marcus Stoinis got a second hit ahead of him
- How he wishes England had bowled their overs a bit quicker in the tour match so he could have scored a 100
- How he spent the winter in Brisbane at the National Performance Centre working with former Aussie opener Chris Rogers
- How being told a week before the first Big Bash game that he was playing hindered his performance
Plus a whole lot more.
We have no doubt Josh Phillippe will become a household name around the world in the future and are excited to bring you his journey thus far in today’s episode.